Spanokopita - Traditional Pie recipe stuffed with a creamy cheesy filling of spinach and feta all layered in between thin, crispy and flaky filo crusts; with each bite giving you a dreamy texture of crispiness and creaminess.
This easy Spanakopita recipe or spinach and feta filo cups is a shortcut recipe, easy and quick to make for a crowd; perfect as a Thanksgiving appetizers.
Spanokopita is one of the best spinach appetizers that you can make and serve during this festive and holiday period.
I have not one or two but six reasons for you to make this authentic spanakopita recipe
1. Ridiculously easy to make.
2. Can be made ahead of time.
3. Perfect recipe for a crowd can be easily doubled or tripled.
4. Hardly needs any time. In just a few minutes you would have an amazing appetizer all ready to serve.
5. Can be made in different forms like spinach feta pie, spinach and feta rolls, spinach and feta triangles, spinach and feta filo pie, spinach and feta tart, spinach and feta filo parcels, Spanakopita bites. Basically, you just have to master the recipe once and you can serve it in so many different forms either in the same party or in multiple parties.
6. It has a variation of texture play. The crispy and flaky crusty sheets with layers of creamy and smooth cream cheese flavoured with garlicky feta and fresh herbs with an additional bite from soft onions and spinach, this spinach spanakopita recipe leaves a burst of flavours in your mouth.
This Spanokopita recipe might be unfamiliar to some of you. So let us see What is Spanokopita? or What is in a Spanokopita?
Spanokopita is basically a Greek savoury pastry. Usually made as a pie with spinach and cheese filling seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh herbs and baked to golden. And then served by cutting it into triangles or squares.
However today we are shaping it into filo cups and serving it in a more interesting and unique way.
So if you look into spanokopita ingredients all you need is:
1. Pastry Sheets either homemade or store bought. Today we are using store-bought so that we can spend more time making other recipes or simply spend some time playing with our kids.
2. Cream Cheese - makes the filling creamy and smooth.
3. Feta Cheese - gives that tangy taste. And today we are using cumin and garlic flavoured which further enhances the flavour quotient.
4. Spinach and Onion - the quintessential filling needed to make these spinach phyllo appetizers.
And of course, salt, pepper and fresh herbs to make this the best spanakopita recipe ever.
It is Thanksgiving next week. And these spinach and feta pie recipe; actually now that we have made a shortcut method to make our life easier I should mention these spinach and feta filo pastry served in filo cups or phyllo cups are the best thing that you can serve to your guests.
As mentioned earlier there are so many reasons on why you should definitely make these phyllo cup appetizers but let us address the most important one.
Can you prepare filo parcels in advance? or Can you prepare spanakopita in advance?
To make it ahead of time, make the filling as per the instructions. Cling-wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
You can shape them as shown in the video into filo cups and freeze them. But since it is so much easier and less time-consuming I would recommend you to do it before the start of the party itself.
If you would like to bake them ahead of time then definitely you can. I am sharing the method on How do you reheat spanakopita? down below.
In case you are making spanakopita triangles that is spinach and cheese triangles instead of spinach feta filo cups then it is even easier to make it ahead of time.
Cut the sheets into rectangles. Add the filling and fold to form a triangle. Place it out on top of a baking tray and once frozen, transfer it to a ziplock bag and bake whenever needed.
Or the best option would be to make spinach and feta puff pastry pinwheels. Lay out the filo sheets as mentioned in the recipe. Place the filling in the centre and roll from the shorter end to make a log just like a swiss roll. Cling wrap and refrigerate. Next day simply divide it into equal roundels and bake.
Now that you have baked your spinach phyllo cups ahead of time you might be wondering Can you reheat filo pastry?
Yes, you can. Most pies and pastries can be gently reheated at 200 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
However, my personal recommendation to you all would be to make your filling separately and keep the filo cups or spinach triangles ready and then bake them right before serving. That is because baked spanokopita tends to lose its crispiness at some point.
Can you serve spanakopita cold?
Oh yes!! These spanokopita tastes equally good when cold. So you can do all the prep work the night before bake these 30 mins to 1 hour ahead and keep everything ready at your serving table.
I had made these to serve the little kids during navratri festival, so what I did was - prepared the filling night before, made the filo cups in the morning 1 hour before the party time. Then when everyone came in and were settled with some juice or welcoming drink, I put the tray in the oven as it hardly takes any time to make.
So by the time kids and mommies finished their drink, this spanakopita with puff pastry was all ready to serve.
Guessing with all my blabbering you have some idea about this Spanokopita, so let us see how to make spanakopita?
Easy Spanokopita recipe | Spinach and Feta Filo Cups
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 175 gms Baby Spinach chopped
- 175 gms Cream Cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese Garlic and Cumin Flavoured
- 3 tbsp Chopped Coriander leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Filo Pastry Sheets
- Melted Butter as needed
- Heat up oil in a pan. Once hot add onions and saute for a minute. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream cheese until soft. Add in the feta cheese, coriander salt and pepper to taste and combine until mixed.
- Add the cooked onion and spinach mix and combine until mixed. Set aside.
- Thaw the filo sheets as per package instructions.
- Lay out a sheet onto your working board. Brush some melted butter all over the sheet.
- Spread another filo sheet on top of it followed by melted butter. Repeat the process until you have a total of 6 filo sheets spread out onto your working board.
- Divide it into 4x3 to get 12 individual filo pastries.
- Flip it out and place it into the muffin pan such that the base is covered completely whereas the top is hanging around the edges. This is what creates the crispy top of the filo cups.
- Fill each filo cup with 1 tbsp of prepared filling and bake in a preheated oven of 200°C for 5 to 8 mins until light golden in colour.
- Serve warm
How do you cook Costco spanakopita?
I understand you might have seen the readymade packets available in Costco. You can use that directly and bake in a preheated oven of 350F for 20 mins or simply follow the packet instructions.
However, if you choose to make your own you always have an upper hand in choosing the filling flavours of your choice.
You might also be wondering what to serve with spanakopita triangles? or simply What do you dip spanakopita in?
Ideally, this is a one pack appetizer. As in the filo cups itself is so appetizing that you do not need any accompaniments along with it. However, Spanakopita goes well with honey mustard, herbed sour cream, salsa, sweet 'n sour sauce, roasted red pepper dip etc.
Also feel free to top with sesame seeds, chilli powder, Parmesan cheese, chopped nuts or other personalized toppings right before baking.
Thanksgiving is such a beautiful occasion just like michhami dukkadam celebrated by Gujratis. It gives us an opportunity to thank all those people who have touched our heart.
And with this post, I take that opportunity to thank each one of you reading this for always being there with me and supporting me all through my blogging journey and helping me to grow each day.
Thank you, everyone.
I also have some more appetizer recipes that I think you might like.
1. Palak Paneer Momos
Also, do not forget to check out the entire playlist on Desserts that would be super handy.
I will see you in my next one.