Let us know by giving it a star rating
How to make Whole Wheat Pita Bread like a PRO!!
Learn all the tips and tricks and the right steps needed to make Instant Pot whole wheat pita bread. And upon your suggestion find the recipes for hummus, falafel, balela salad and tzatziki sauce.
Servings 6 pita bread
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 200 ml Water
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- +/- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 3/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Flour
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Sun dried Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Cooked Chickpeas
- 1/4 each of bell peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, cucumber
- Olive oil, Lemon Juice, salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cucumber grated
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- handful of Dill leaves Chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and give a good mix.
Dissolve yeast in the water and add it to your dry ingredients and combine together until the flour is hydrated. Transfer to the worktop dusted with some whole wheat flour and then knead the dough
After about 10 mins of kneading add a tbsp of oil and knead again until you reach the soft, pliable and tacky dough stage which would take another 15 mins of kneading. You would have to approximately knead the dough for 25 mins in total. Add extra flour while rolling the dough as needed
Feel free to cut short the kneading time to 10-15 mins by choosing to knead the dough in a stand mixer.
Oil the bowl and allow the dough to proof in it for 2 hours or until doubled in size. Or cut short the time by proofing the dough in the Instant Pot.
Spray some oil to the base of the pot. Transfer the dough into it. Vent to sealing position. Use the yogurt setting and set the time to 1 hour.
After the timer beeps, take the dough out and divide it evenly into 6 balls of 75 gms each. Tuck the sides underneath to create a smooth round surface. Cover with a tea towel so that it doesn’t dry out.
Take the first dough that you weighed. Roll it out evenly into circles measuring 6 inch in diameter .
Place them on a baking tray that has been pre-lined with parchment paper.
Allow for second proofing - 30 mins.
Prereheat the oven to 230 degree Celsius with the baking stone inside. Right before baking flip the rolled out dough on to the stone and bake for 4-5 mins until it is nicely puffed up.
To make it on a stovetop make sure that the skillet is hot. Flip the rolled out dough and place it on the hot skillet. After about 20 sec flip the dough and you will observe that the dough puffs up like a balloon in minute's time. Flip it over again and cook on both sides.
Wrap it in a tea towel as soon as it comes out of the oven or skillet to keep it soft.
Pita bread tastes best when still warm.
Falafel, Hummus, Salad and Tzatziki Sauce
- Please note I have used the Instant Pot only to proof the bread. Under normal conditions the first proofing takes 2 hours whereas Instant Pot cuts the time to 1 hour so note the time difference depending upon how you proof the dough.
- If you are using any other variety of Yeast other than Instant make sure to activate the yeast first before proceeding with the recipe :) The quantity remains the same.
- The ideal water temperature for this recipe is 90 to 100 degree F.
- Please refer the Frequently Asked Questions section right above the recipe card to get all your queries answered