These weight watchers 2 ingredients bagels recipe is the need of the hour!!
This no yeast 2 ingredients bread dough is so versatile that it can be used to make – pizzas, calzones, bagels, buns, pretzels and lot more in about 45 mins from start to finish!!
What is 2 ingredient dough?
Two Ingredient Dough is – a ‘bread’ dough made with self-raising (self-rising) flour and Greek yogurt.
When these two ingredients are combined together, they make a thick and sturdy dough.
This no yeast, no flour and no rise time dough makes a tender, chewy bread that is done in about 45 minutes from start to finish!
Even though traditional homemade bagels are easy to make, but it would be only fair to comment that it is rather time-consuming..
On the contrary, these 2 ingredients bagels are:
- Healthier than regular bagels as well as store-bought bagels
- NO Yeast, No APF, No Rise-Time, No Poaching Needed
- And absolutely no fancy equipment like a stand mixer is needed.
- You can use the same recipe to make any kind of bread – pizza, buns, pretzels and more!!!
Here is a step by step recipe on
How to make two-ingredient bagels from scratch:
All you have to do is combine the two ingredients – Self Raising Flour (image 1) and Yogurt (image 2) to form a dough.
I like to add some salt (image 3) to enhance the taste of the bagels but this is totally optional.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine it and then using your hands bring everything together.
Transfer to your worktop dusted with flour, add some flour on top and form it into a dough.
Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
Showing you two different ways in which you can shape the bagels:
Roll into a ball or round shape.
Poke your index finger (image 4) through the centre of the dough till you see it on the other side and then using two fingers stretch the dough (image 5) to form a hole in the centre.
Roll the dough into long cylinders (image 6), then bring the edges together (image 7) and seal together to form a circle (image 8) leaving enough empty space in the centre.
Put the dough on to the baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Brush the top with some milk (image 9) and sprinkle some sesame seeds (image 10), poppy seeds or everyone’s favourite.. everything bagels seasoning..
Step 3: Baking
Bake the bagels in a preheated oven of
200°C (400°F) for 20 – 25 mins
until you a nice golden crust on top.
My top 5 tips for making this shortcut Bagels recipe:
- Use greek yogurt and try to use the thickest parts as moisture would make the dough way too sticky and difficult to bind.
- Do not knead the dough way too much as the more you handle the dough the stickier it gets.
- Also over-working the dough means adding more flour which would yield a dense bread and not palatable. So avoid adding too much flour.
- You do not need any equipment to knead the dough, use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Adding a bit of salt to the dough enhances its taste.
Don’t worry if you do not have Self- Raising Flour handy. You can still make this recipe by preparing your own flour at home.
How to make Self-Raising Flour at home.
All you need to do is combine:
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sift together the above ingredients. This will make 1 cup of self-rising flour.
Are these 2 ingredients bagel healthier than traditional bagels?
They have lower carbs and higher protein, owing to the Greek yogurt. They also contain less sodium and less fat.
However, I would also like to clarify here that, these doesn’t have that classic bagel taste but nevertheless they taste amazing on its own!!!
Plus 2 ingredients, no kneading, no rise time – what more can you ask for!!!
Can I use any other type of yogurt?
Ideally, Greek Yogurt works best for this recipe specifically the one by Fage.
However, if you would like to use any other type of yogurt I would suggest you, hang it in a muslin cloth for 1 hour to remove the excess water content.
As more moisture means you would need more flour to bring it together and the texture won’t be just right then.
Can I make it gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free self-rising flour to make these.
How to store the bagels?
Technically, the recipe just makes 4 bagels at a given time.
Plus you can easily halve or double the recipe too.
And it also takes just few mins to combine it into a dough, so I would say make it fresh but still if you want to make it in bulk then yes you can freeze them.
To freeze them: Wrap each bagel individually in an aluminium foil.
Place it in a ziplock bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
To Thaw: Allow them to thaw in the fridge or at room temperature overnight.
What different toppings can I add to the bagels?
There are so many topping variations that you can try including everything bagels seasoning, seed toppings, cheese bagels, cinnamon raisin bagels, etc and also so many ways you can fill it up to.
You must definitely check out my homemade bagels recipe (the traditional way) for more details on the same.
I believe everyone must know how to bake bread at home and to help you get started this White Bread recipe has every minute details you need to know.
If you are a beginner a no-knead bread recipe comes super handy.
And when you are running out of yeast, then this 2 ingredients bagels is all you need in your life. You can literally use this yeast-free bread recipe in multiple ways.
If you like this recipe or happen to try it then share your experience below in the comments by giving it a star rating or let me know by TAGGING ME, TWEETING ME OR INSTAGRAM ME. I would love to connect with you and your posts.
CONSIDER JOINING THE COMMUNITY OF 100K+ SUBSCRIBERS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR REGULAR UPDATES.
Here is the recipe on How to make bagels at home using just 2 ingredients.
2 ingredients Bagels
- 1.5 cups Self-rising flour
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Salt (refer notes)
- 2 tsp Milk
- toppings of your choice
- Combine self-rising flour, yogurt and salt in a bowl.
- Using a spatula mix them until everything comes together. Then switch over to using your clean hands to combine it into a dough. (Refer notes for additional tips).
- Transfer to your worktop that has been dusted with flour and then divide into 4 equal parts. You can also choose to weigh it first before dividing. I just eyeballed them.
- There are two ways in which you can shape them.
- Take a portion of the dough and round it.
- Poke your finger in the centre of the dough till you see it on the other side of the dough. Then using two fingers widen the gap to create a hole in the centre.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with a parchment paper.
- Roll each portion into long cylinders of around 11 inches in size.
- Bring the edges together to form a circle and seal them well.
- Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the bagels with some milk and sprinkle the toppings of your choice. I used white sesame seeds.
- Bake them in a preheated oven of 200°C (392°F) for around 20-25 mins until the top gets a nice golden brown colour and the bottom sounds hollow.
- Allow it to cool completely before slicing them horizontally and enjoying with a spread of cream cheese.
- The recipe calls for self-rising flour and yogurt as the only 2 ingredients to make the dough. All the other ingredients are added to enhance the flavour quotient. So technically I understand that it more than 2 ingredients. However you can make the bagels using just flour and yogurt if you like.
- If you are making homemade self-rising flour following the directions mentioned below then please do not add additional salt as the flour itself has some salt added to it.
- Use greek yogurt or make your own hung curd to avoid the moisture content.
- Do not knead the dough too much as the dough would tend to get stickier and you would end up adding more flour which would make the bagels dense once bagels.
- Make the hole wider as the dough tends to rise in the oven filling the gaps.
- The recipe can easily be halved or doubled.
- Use the same measuring cup to measure both the flour and yogurt. Do not use the pyrex measuring cup to measure out yogurt.
How to make Self Rising Flour??1 cup flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt Sift together the above ingredients. This will make 1 cup of self-rising flour. Like mentioned, if you are using your own homemade self rising flour then please do skip salt.
How to store the bagels?This recipe makes a small batch and there won’t be leftovers. If you still have some then wrap each bagel individually in an aluminium foil. Put them in zip lock bags and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw it in the fridge or on the counter top overnight when using.
What are the different toppings one can use?There are so many topping variations that you can try including everything bagels seasoning, seed toppings, cheese bagels, cinnamon raisin bagels, etc and also so many ways you can fill it up to.
Do you have a traditional bagel recipe??Yes I do.. Please check out the traditional homemade bagel recipe for a detailed step by step pictorial recipe.
You will be surprised to learn that you just need 2 ingredients to make this tender chewy bread that also gets done in 35 mins from start to finish.
This no yeast 2 ingredients bread dough is so versatile that it can be used to make – pizzas, calzones, pretzels, bagels and many more.
In this post, you will see how to make these weight watchers 2 ingredients bagels recipe which I believe is the need of the hour.
I will see you soon with yet another one