Strawberries and Cream Dessert - a quick, simple, no bake dessert that is ready in just 5 minutes! There are only 4 ingredients - 4!! I may have eaten it all by myself ;)sshh.. just don't tell anyone 😀
Did you know you can make a quick and easy dessert with just fresh strawberries, whipped cream and a bit of sugar?
Well, did you? Good on you.. Because this blew my mind when I first tried it..
This strawberries and cream dessert is the perfect combination of light, refreshing strawberry flavour and decadent creaminess apt to beat the heat.
This is the perfect summer dessert, it will remind you of being at Wimbledon.
Yes this bristish dessert was first popularised as,"Wimbledon Strawberries and Cream" and ever since then been adopted to new variations like Mexican Fresas con crema, Indian Strawberry Cream etc.
Have shared few variations to this simple dessert in the post which might be handy for you.
And I believe that is exactly why you will love this recipe just like how you guys enjoyed our Fresh Fruit Cake recipe.
Why you will Love this recipe?
- Everyone needs a quick, no bake summer dessert (which means no need to heat oven.. yay) and this is exactly that!!
- Can be made as simple as this one, or can be jazzed to a special dessert with just few additional ingredients.
- Makes an apt dessert for two (imagine date night 😉 ), or can also be made to serve in your game day party, bbq, backyard parties, summer picnics or any potlucks.
- Needs just handful of simple ingredients and very little of your active time.
- 200 gms Strawberries - I recommend using fresh strawberries.
- 250 ml Cream - Both heavy cream and whipping cream works for the recipe. Any cream with more than 30% fat is recommended. But this can also be made with non dairy cream and 25% fresh cream too.
- Sugar - I have used both icing (3 tbsp) and granulated sugar (2 tbsp) but you can just use icing sugar for the recipe.
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste - Use vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste for classy and rich taste.
- Pink Food colour - Optional can be easily skipped or can be swapped for red food colour too.
Step by Step Instructions:
Just few basic steps and you will be proud of making the best desserts ever!!
- To make this strawberries and cream recipe start by washing strawberries, de-stem and cut into quarters.
- Add to a small bowl, sprinkle the granulated sugar (or confectioners’ sugar), cover with a lid and let it sit for 15-30 mins. (This process is known as macerating the strawberries) (image 1-2)
- This is done to soften the strawberries and release its juices.
- After 30 mins, take the whipping cream in a large bowl along with icing sugar, vanilla bean paste and food colour if using. Whip to SOFT PEAKS. (image 3-4)
- You might need to use electric mixer with whisk attachment over medium speed if working with non dairy cream.
- Then add the macerated strawberries along with the juices to the vanilla cream mixture.
- Fold gently to mix it. Cover with a cling wrap and let it sit in the refriegerator to chill for a while about 30 mins to an hour.
- Choose a jar or glass of choice.
- I have lined the base with fresh strawberries as seen in the image but that is optional.
- Then add the chilled cream to the jars followed by fresh whipped cream and strawberries on top as garnish (image 6-7).
- A very simple recipe and yet makes a delightful dessert to be served for any occasion.
- Serve chilled.
- Alternatively you can also assemble the jars first and then chill; totally up to you.
Can I use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes! In the winter, when delicious fresh berries are not in season, frozen berries are a great alternative but try to make use of the plentiful juicy strawberries when they are in season.
If you are using frozen strawberries then macerate them for about an hour instead of 30 mins.
Unfortunately desserts with strawberries and cream cannot be stored for long.
For best results, this strawberry dessert can be stored in the fridge for up to 24-48 hours in an airtight container and not more than that.
I enjoy this dessert by simply having it as it is served in cute mason jars as mentioned in the recipe.
However, the simplicity of it is what makes it so special that it can be taken from simple to a fancy dessert by just simple variations.
Here are few ideas for making this fresh strawberry dessert:
- Whipped Strawberry Milk: Great addition to add on to your glass of milk so instead of plain whipped cream you can consider adding this strawberry cream on top
- Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Filling: You can follow our fresh fruit cake (a family favorite) recipe. Swap the fruit frilling for this strawberry cream filling instead and what you will get is a Homemade Strawberry Shortcake recipe.
- Wimbledon Strawberries and Cream: Keep the consistency of the cream to liquid-y (less than soft peaks) and the strawberries whole instead of quartering them. Simply add the strawberries in cream and enjoy!!
- Puff Pastry with Strawberries and Cream: Use store bought puff pastries and fill them with the filling. Bake as per package instructions.
- As a Topping: These would make a great topping to your regular everyday breakfast like pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, french toast, crepes etc.
- Tart: Use this filling to add to your baked tart base to make a fresh tart flavour. Both egg based tart and eggless tart recipe can be found in our blog.
- Mexican Fresas Con Creama: Along with the ingredients mentioned in the recipe, add little sour cream and swap the sugar for condensed milk to make it richer.
- Indian Strawberry Cream: Popularised in Mahabaleshwar, India this strawberry cream has an additional ingredient which is just ice cream. So to your jar add the strawberry whipped cream filling top it with ice cream and some strawberry syrup.
- Roulade: Use sponge cake as your base and top it with prepared strawberry whip cream filling. Roll it to form a roulade.
- Alcoholic version: For a slight kick consider adding little Irish Cream or Bailey's Strawberries and Cream to the filling.
- Jello Shots: Fill your mason jars with the prepared filling followed by jello and repeat to create a mini parfait.
- Epic Parfait: Add a base layer of crushed graham crackers or layers of cake (pound cake will be perfect) cut into pieces to fit the mason jar, followed by strawberry jam, cream cheese layer, the prepared cream and strawberry filling, ripe strawberries and repeat. Now thats a dreamy dessert.
So which variation are you going to try in this strawberry season?
Frequently Asked Questions?
Fresh cream, Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream with more than 30% fat is the best cream to be used. If that is not available you can use non dairy cream or 25% fresh cream too.
Yes you can make this cream and strawberry recipe 24-48 hours ahead of time. However since it is made using fresh cream and fresh strawberries I would recommend you to make it the same day of serving or the night before.
The other option for you would be to do the prep work ahead of time like:
Wash, dry, and quarter your strawberries in advance.
You can macerate the strawberries few hours in advance and keep it refrigerated until you prepare the remainder of the recipe.
You can prepare and assemble the dishes up to 4 hours ahead of time at most. Keep them refrigerated until serving time.
Yes definitely. Add your favourite berries to the mix like raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries. You can use mango, peach, plums, pomegranate or grapes too. Or use a combination of these fruits to make fruit cream the recipe for which is coming soon on the blog.
Yes absolutely. In a medium bowl, fold the macerated strawberries into the cool-whip and assemble. You can also use this cool-whip as a garnish once the delicious dessert is assembled in mason jars.
Quick and Easy Strawberries and Cream Dessert in 5 mins
- 200 gms Strawberries
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 250 ml Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- few drop of red or pink food colour (optional)
- Wash strawberries, de-stem and cut into quarters.
- Add to a small bowl, sprinkle the granulated sugar, cover with a lid and let it sit for 30 mins. (This process is known as macerating the strawberries)This is done to soften the strawberries.
- After 30 mins, take the whipping cream in a large bowl along with icing sugar, vanilla bean paste and food colour if using. Whip to SOFT PEAKS.
- Then add the macerated strawberries along with the juices to the vanilla cream mixture. Fold gently to mix it. Cover with a cling wrap and let it sit in the refriegerator to chill for a while about 30 mins to an hour.
- Choose a jar or glass of choice.I have lined the base with fresh strawberries as seen in the image but that is optional.Then add the chilled cream to the jars followed by fresh whipped cream and strawberries on top as garnish.
- Serve Chilled.
- Do not whip the cream to stiff peaks as when you then fold the strawberries chances are that the cream might split.
- You may use icing sugar to sprinkle on strawberries too; no need to use two types of sugar. Also feel free to adjust the sugar if needed.
- Please note 5 mins is the active time needed to bring this dessert together, it does not include the resting time for macerating or the chilling time.
- You can choose to fill the mason jar first and then chill them in the refrigerator.